I'm Anja Bauermeister, a German writer and translator. I used to be an astrobiologist, searching for life on other planets. But writing has always been my passion and the more I learned about today's opportunities in publishing, the more I saw how this dream could become reality. So, after 1.5 years of postdoctoral research in the US, I returned to Germany in 2015 to start out as a freelance translator and author.
I enjoy translating fiction from English to German and since 2015 have helped several authors get their books into German (see my portfolio). For over a year, I've been the assistant of SciFi author David VanDyke, helping him promote his German translations (find his interview here). I also helped other authors such as Tanya Anne Crosby, LJ Ross and Caroline Fyffe with booking promotions, setting up Lovelybooks giveaways, and submitting their book to bloggers.
Apart from that, I'm an author myself and have published my first German novel in March 2016 (historical YA fiction). I started this blog to share anything about German publishing and marketing that I've learned and am still learning along the way.
If you would like to know more about me, you can listen to my interview on the Rocking Selfpublishing Podcast or watch this round table discussion with Alida Winternheimer and my translator colleague Christina Löw.
- I will consider all genres for translation, but I'm most experienced (as a reader and writer) in Historical Fiction, Romance, Contemporary Fiction, and YA or Middle Grade.
- I usually work with my colleague Christina Löw as my editor. Of course, you can always hire your own!
- I offer flexible payment plans based on a rate per word.
- Be aware that the translation of a novel may take several months depending on my schedule (currently 3-4 months for full-length novels), so it will be a while before you would get a whole series out.
Even the best translator will miss these sneaky little errors that we all make, so a second pair of eyes is a must-have.
- I will check your German manuscript for typos and grammatical errors (proofreading) - Rate: 0.005 Euro/word
- I will point out repetitive words or unclear passages and make suggestions to improve reading flow (line editing) - Rate: 0.01 Euro/word
For more information about prices and individual offers, please get in touch!*
* Unfortunately, I can't take on any new translation projects at the moment as my waiting list is full, but please feel free to check back in several months or have a look at the links in my Resources section to find other translators.
Check out this article for details about the translation process.
What happy authors say:
"Anja Bauermeister and Christina Löw did a wonderful job translating my novel, A Stone's Throw, into German, Ein einziger Steinwurf. They are a great team and a pleasure to work with, communicative and responsive. I felt they went above and beyond the duty of translators. Besides translating my book, they answered my questions about publishing, pricing, and marketing in the German marketplace. They even found beta readers to give them feedback on the translated work. They are wonderful partners in this new venture, and I'm certain I would not be publishing a translated work if not for their expertise and generosity. Even though I do not speak or read German, I trust Anja and Christina with this novel and future novels." - Alida Winternheimer, writer and editor on wordessential.com
"I am thrilled with every aspect of our working relationship—not simply the team’s [Anja and Christina's] work ethic and quick turnaround, but their knowledge about the German market, and willingness to investigate what they don’t know. They have been an asset to me" - Tanya Anne Crosby, New York Times Bestselling Author of the Highland Brides series that I translated with my colleague Christina Löw.
"Anja [has] been invaluable to me both as my virtual assistant (to do things like schedule promotions and get reviews in blogs) and as my proofreader (to ensure the German text is both error-free and colloquial)." - David VanDyke, Bestselling Author of the Plague Wars series.
"It is a pleasure working with Anja and I recommend her highly for all translation work. She continues to be very professional and very easy to communicate with." - Katrina Kahler, Author of the Julia Jones' Diary series
"Anja is an absolutely outstanding translator. Everything is easy, she understands ebook formatting. Highly recommended." - Karen Campbell, Author of Diary of Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome